Friday, March 25, 2011

on my doorstep


The blossoming tree at the end of my street

Since early March, when I step out of my flat in the morning, there have been sprinklings of small, pink petals on my doorstep. There was no tree in sight, but a few weeks ago I found the source a couple of blocks away. This week I noticed that the tree to the left is afloat in white petals.

Every day now there are new flowers in the parks. One of the wonderous results of the U.K. weather is that flowering plants that usually only bloom a few days or weeks in Canada may blossom for months here. When I was in Cardiff a few years ago in late September there were dandelions present: suspended spring.

In the evening on my doorstep, beginning a few weeks ago, I have been able to hear a marvelous songbird. I wasn't able to spot it until recently, and then only as a silhoutte in the distance. I like to think it is a nightingale, which I have never heard nor seen, because its fluid singing is beautiful, however I'm not certain it is from the description online.

Morning and evening graces.


No comments:

Post a Comment