Thursday, January 3, 2013

out with the old, in with the new

Whew! I'm looking forward to a fresh start in 2013 and not sorry to see the backside of 2012. It wasn't a bad year -- which is a lot to be thankful for -- but it was an awkward year, never quite reaching a comfortable stride. It felt full of false starts and flat stops and the highlights felt hard-won, whether they were or not.

A lot of the frustration was due to struggles on the job, often physical job-related ailments, one small but tedious strain after another, so that much of the year I never felt physically on top of things, or was always seeking pain-free effort. It did come for short intervals: aggravated elbow joints healed and sinus problems came and went and my speed improved as well, but it may be time to seriously look for work outside of the hotel industry.

The difficult year at work was eased with travel and visits-- in March my first trip to Europe with the cruise to St. Malo and St. Servan, in May a visit from my brother and sister-in-law, in July a trip home to friends and family in Canada and the U.S., in October my first visit to Paris, la belle cite, and shorter, local Welsh excursions scattered in between.

I'm hoping that 2013 unfolds with more grace and ease. I have been in Wales about two and a quarter years now -- almost at the halfway point of my five-year visa. I think I am a little frustrated at working so hard and playing so little, even though in many ways things are much easier than during the first year. No Olympics this year -- which is good from my workpoint view -- maybe less rain? (2012 was the rainiest year in 100 years in the U.K.), maybe another job? (I've currently applied to be a ticketseller at Cardiff Castle).

Definitely more travel -- one of the bonuses of living here in the U.K. is the five-weeks of vacation, which is wonderful. At the end of March I plan to go to Canada/U.S. for a week and then down to my stepmother's in Florida for a week (sunshine, yes! yes! yes!). I'm hoping my brother and sister-in-law return in May, but I haven't heard at this point. If not, perhaps I can see them in Europe. I hope to make a weekender to Amsterdam and see the Van Gogh and Anne Frank museums. And I plan to return to Paris for a day or two longer than my first short visit, because, well, Paris is profound in every way. I hope, that before I return for good to Canada, that I will come to know Paris well.

So welcome, 2013! Croeso and bienvenue!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment