Monday, January 17, 2011

fish, fowl and 'the fight'

My cheaper (by a pound) eggs from 'caged hens'
I am on a very tight budget and I love eggs. They are my favourite food. And it is most disconcerting that smack on the packaging, or highlighted on grocer signs, are unsought details on the origin of my eggs.

I suppose North America is behind on this regard, as this branding practice in the U.K. is new to me. It is eye-opening and to be commended and it is most likely irresponsible of me not to be more aware of my food's origins, but I certainly don't enjoy the twinge of guilt and sense of unwanton cruelty that accompany my shopping now that the knowledge is laid out before me. Unfortunately, until I bring in a little more money, I suppose I will have to try to get used to my eggs with attitude.

That being said, the successful poultry campaign launched by U.K. chefs Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall, Jamie Oliver and Gordon Ramsay, has been succeeded by this year's equally admirable and important Fish Fight. A series of hour-long episodes has highlighted the sad and disturbing wastes of current EU policies, seeking to inform, enrage and activate the U.K. consumer.

Blissful ignorance or disturbing knowledge? I suppose the goal and key is to make the truth less disturbing.

1 comment:

  1. But we do have eggs laid by free range hens on our shelves too....I just hope they are telling the truth when they say their hens are free to roam around and are not fed hormones etc

    ReplyDelete